The Atlanta Speech School is one of the Southeast's oldest therapeutic, educational centers for children and adults with hearing, speech, language or learning disabilities. The Junior League School for Speech Correction was established in 1938, at the instigation of Katherine "Kitty" Cathcart Hamm, the mother of a deaf son. It was begun with a single, rented room and served 32 students in its first year.
By 1960, when the name was changed to Atlanta Speech School, it had become a well-established, private, nonprofit organization. The School has expanded in unprecedented proportions over the years, both in size and in the scope of services offered. After several locations, it was relocated to its present 57,000 square foot Northside Parkway facility in 1967.
The School serves over 1,800 children and adults annually. What was once a one-room facility now encompasses classrooms for four school programs and a speech-language audiology clinic, an extensive library and media center, therapy and remediation rooms, a gym, a computer lab, and diagnostic facilities. Instruction is supported by state-of-the-art technology in all classrooms and therapy rooms.