The Audiology Clinic at the Atlanta Speech School offers hearing services to adults, children and infants. It also provides support for the students in the Hamm Center, the Wardlaw Schools and the Kenan Preschool. The clinic services are available year-round and are not limited to the school year.
Our staff is made up of audiologists and speech-language pathologists who are health care professionals with graduate degrees, state licenses, and certification by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). The audiologists are also Fellows of the American Academy of Audiology (AAA).
- Audiologic Testing: for adults, children and infants. The Audiology Clinic performs diagnostic tests to identify the degree and type of hearing loss of our clients. The make-up of the test battery is determined by individual need and is designed to assess specific symptoms and their causes for each client. Following the evaluation, the audiologist helps the client and their family understand the impact of the hearing loss and recommends appropriate steps for further management. This may include a referral to a physician of their choice, or one of the following services offered through the clinic:
- Hearing Aid Dispensing Program: for all ages. Includes the selection, fitting, and modification of all hearing instrument technologies (including digital) and selected assistive listening devices.
- Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) Evaluations: for individuals 8 years of age and older who exhibit communication and/or learning difficulties despite their having normal hearing.
- Educational Auditory Services: for children enrolled at the Atlanta Speech School. Includes hearing evaluations, hearing aid sales and service, FM, infrared and auditory trainer maintenance, and cochlear implant programming and troubleshooting.
- Universal Newborn Hearing Screening and Intervention: for neonates. Screening has been mandated by the state of Georgia since 2001 so that intervention/remediation may begin as early as possible. The Audiology Clinic provides fitting and dispensing of hearing aids to this specialized age group. The audiologist also works closely with the Parent/Infant advisors in the Hamm Center.