Start Date: August 2013
The Anne & Jim Kenan Preschool, a program of the Atlanta Speech School, has an opening for a full-time assistant teacher for the pre-kindergarten class. The Kenan Preschool is a community preschool program that serves children, two to six years of age. In addition the preschool serves as a mainstreaming site for children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Kenan uses expertise in language, literacy, and learning to help children become skilled communicators who are exceptionally prepared for school. An emphasis on research-based practices for language and early literacy is integrated throughout the curriculum to prepare children with a solid foundation for learning. The Kenan Preschool is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and is licensed by Bright from the Start, Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning.
The Atlanta Speech School is the nation’s most comprehensive language center for children and adults. Established in 1938, the Atlanta Speech School’s four schools, five clinics, summer program, and professional development center seek to help each person develop his or her full potential through language and literacy. In each of our four schools, teachers with unmatched credentials and training customize the latest research to the needs of each child. Our unique language-based curriculum and collaborative teaching model helps children become independent, self-confident learners. We commit to offering our faculty and staff the best environment and ongoing support and professional development for them to serve and lead in the field of early childhood education.
The assistant teacher is responsible for assisting in the delivery of a high quality educational program for each child in the class and works in a collaborative teaching team serving children who are four and five years old. Assistant teachers provide assistance with classroom preparation, organization, instructional planning, positive interactions with children, and classroom management. Assistant teachers are expected to consistently perform high quality work with little supervision, work in an efficient manner to effectively manage workload demands, and demonstrate an ability and willingness to adapt creatively to varying situations. Knowledge and understanding of research-based practices for language and early literacy instruction are required and will be provided through professional learning opportunities.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES OF THE JOB:
- Implement activities that are assigned by the lead teacher and program coordinator
- Assist in planning and implementing the daily program under the direction of the lead teacher
- Assist in implementing lesson plans for large group instruction, small group instruction, and individual readiness activities
- Assist in implementing behavior guidance strategies to promote positive behavior and self-reliance in children
- Prepare classroom and bulletin board displays
- Assist in supervising children’s arrival, departure, and outdoor play
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree from an accredited university
- Experience working with preschool children is required and preference given to individuals with experience in NAEYC accredited programs
- Knowledge of best practices in early childhood education and language and early literacy instruction is preferred
- Diligence in following policies and procedures regarding children’s supervision and safety
- Excellent organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a teaching team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to provide an appropriate speech and language model for children
- A commitment to ongoing professional development is required. Must attend Bright from the Start training and other required training as specified by the program coordinator
- Physical stamina required to bend, stand, lift up to 40 pounds, work with children on the floor, work outdoors in a variety of temperatures, and mobility to ensure the supervision and safety of children
SALARY: Salary is commensurate with experience.
BENEFITS: This is a full time position and offers a generous benefits package which includes health/dental/life/vision and long term disability insurance; the School subsidizes health insurance premiums of staff and families. Other benefits include Flexible Spending Account; 403(b) Plan; Employee Assistance Program and Travel Assistance Services; cost reduction of some Atlanta Speech School services; subsidized meals during work hours; generous holiday schedule; direct deposit; accrued sick leave; and credit union membership.
Please submit all of the following documents by March 15th to ensure that your information is considered: cover letter, resume, and written submission: Please describe how your particular skills, talents, and/or expertise could be beneficial to the Kenan Preschool Program. (Please limit response to 500 words).
For submission of application material contact:
No phones call, please