The Atlanta Speech School (School) recognizes that the cost of an independent education for students with learning challenges is a significant investment for families, and we are committed to making educational and clinical services affordable to all qualified families to the extent that our resources allow. Financial aid is not available for the Anne & Jim Kenan Preschool.
Financial aid is meant to fill the gap between the actual cost of tuition and related clinical services, and what a family can realistically pay toward this cost. It is based solely on demonstrated financial need. Families are expected to contribute to their child's educational expenses to the greatest extent they are able.
The School partners with School and Student Services for Financial Aid (SSS) of Princeton, NJ as a starting point in determining a family's need for financial assistance. SSS is a subsidiary of the National Association of Independent Schools and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, nationality, gender or ethnic origin. The information shared with SSS is held in strict confidence by SSS and the Atlanta Speech School.
Under the School's policy, a family's financial circumstances have no bearing on a student's application for admission. To promote clarity and good understanding we would like to stress the following points:
- Once a student has been admitted, financial aid must be applied for and is determined on the basis of current demonstrated financial need against the funds available. Application for financial aid must be renewed annually. To apply for financial aid, please visit the NAIS School and Student Services portal to begin your application.
- To participate in the Financial Aid Program, each family is expected to hold the School high on its list of financial priorities. An adjustment in tuition is not intended to support discretionary items such as a second home, investment portfolios, debt-free status, costly vacations, expensive club memberships, luxury automobiles or large amounts of home-equity.
- Rarely is financial aid granted to families who have an "adjusted gross income" (as defined by the Internal Revenue Code) of more than $150 thousand in the past year.
- It is very possible that services offered by the School, except for the services offered by the Anne & Jim Kenan Preschool are "medical expenses" for income tax purposes and for health care flexible spending accounts. Please refer to our website regarding possible tax implications related to your tuition or clinic payment fee.
- Should a family's situation change in any way, for better or worse, it is imperative that the Finance Office be contacted immediately so that our award of financial aid can be reviewed and adjusted when required.
- To be fair and considerate to all families applying for financial aid, the required financial information that is requested on the following page must be received before the Financial Aid Committee can review the request.
- Informational Tax Letter
As always, we are very grateful for your interest in the Atlanta Speech School.