Katherine "Kitty" Cathcart Hamm, the mother of a deaf son, had a vision of a school where children who are deaf or hard of hearing could learn to speak and read, regardless of their family's financial means. The Junior League of Atlanta believed in her vision, and together they created it, opening the Junior League School for Speech Correction on June 6, 1938. It was begun with a single, rented room and served 32 students in its first year.
By 1960, when the name was changed to Atlanta Speech School, it had become a well-established, private, nonprofit organization. The School has expanded in unprecedented proportions over the years, both in size and in the scope of services offered. After several locations, it was relocated to its present 102,000 square foot Northside Parkway facility in 1967.
Each year, the School impacts the lives of approximately 1,400 children and adults through its four schools, five clinics and summer program, and more than 13,000 students throughout the State of Georgia through the work of its Rollins Center for Language & Literacy professional development program. Research-based instruction is supported by state-of-the-art technology in all classrooms and therapy rooms.