This 4-week program is designed to serve rising kindergarten students who have been identified as having dyslexia or other language-based learning disabilities, or being "at risk" for learning problems. Parents should be able to provide copies of any evaluations of their student and may be asked to have their children participate in a screening at the school.
Through multi-sensory experiences and instruction, children begin to develop the skills, concepts, and strategies that are foundational to academic success. Areas of instruction include basic concepts, listening comprehension skills and strategies, phonological awareness, print concepts, and number concepts. The Bright Beginnings program continues to emphasize language, motor development, and social skills throughout the curriculum.
Students will experience success and learn to enjoy a school setting in the fun and relaxed environment of the summer program. Singing, utilizing the computer and technology, listening to stories, playing, and socializing with new friends all provide valuable avenues for learning. Camper/staff ratio is 6:1.
Camp Dates for 2023
June 5 - June 30 (School Closed on June 19 for Juneteenth Holiday)
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Financial aid is available for qualifying students
Registration for Bright Beginnings is open until spaces are filled. Many sessions fill early and a wait list is maintained for sessions that fill to capacity. In the event your child cannot attend camp, tuition may be refunded if your child’s place can be filled. However, no refunds are given after May 1, 2023.
Registration for Speech School Students: To register for camp, complete and send the Camp Application Form along with a 50% deposit to school. A 50% deposit is required at time of application with remaining payment due in full by May 1, 2023. The deposit is non-transferable and non-refundable.
Registration for Students who do not attend the Speech School: For all students who are not currently enrolled in the Wardlaw School and are applying to Bright Beginnings Camp, a review of the student’s learning profile is necessary to determine if the summer program will meet the needs of each student. Open registration for students who do not attend the Speech School begins on February 21. The following information will be reviewed for possible placement:
- Completed Camp Application Form
- Early Childhood Questionnaire Form – An Early Childhood Questionnaire Form, to be completed by child’s current teacher, is required for those children who are enrolled in a preschool or school program other than one at the Atlanta Speech School.
- Current Speech Language Evaluation – Parents are asked to provide copies of evaluations when available and may be asked to have their children participate in an observation at the school. The purpose of the observation is to help determine speech and language needs and whether our program will meet the needs of each child.
- Psychoeducational Evaluation – Parents are asked to provide a copy if an evaluation has been completed.
- Any additional testing completed by a Speech Language Pathologist, School Psychologist, or Learning Specialist
In the event your child cannot attend camp, tuition may be refunded if your child's place can be filled. However, no refunds are given after May 1, 2023.
Please contact Lola Stringer, Director for Summer Programs at 404-233-5332, ext. 3131, for application materials and to discuss camp programs and services available for your child.